Earn international HR acclaim with the Professional in Human Resources – International™ (PHRi™) from HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). The PHRi (formerly the Human Resources Business Professional™ or HRBP™), for internationally based practitioners, validates professional-level competency, knowledge and skills to help to propel your HR career forward. With the PHRi, you demonstrate mastery of generally accepted technical and operational HR principles in a single international setting.
To be eligible for the PHRi you must meet one of the following conditions for education and experience:
- Have at least one year of experience in a professional-level HR position + a master’s degree or global equivalent,
- Have at least two years of experience in a professional-level HR position + a bachelor’s degree or global equivalent, OR
- Have at least four years of experience in a professional-level HR position + a high school diploma or global equivalent.
Exam Format & Fee?
- Exam time: 3 hours and 15 minutes.
- Exam length: 145 scored questions (mostly multiple-choice) + 25 pretest questions
- Language: English
- Computer-based exam at a Pearson VUE testing center
Exam Fee*: $395 + Application Fee: $100
*Once an exam application is approved, no refunds will be made whether a candidate withdraws or no longer wishes to take the exam.
To make certification more accessible worldwide, HRCI offers a global allowance for the PHRi/SPHRi exam which provides the exam at a reduced fee. Applicants who live in low-income, lower middle-income, and upper middle-income economies as defined on the World Bank Country and Lending Group list will pay a reduced exam fee of $200 USD/ $300 USD.
What Is Covered?
Review the PHRi Exam Content Outline for details.
When Can I Take the Exam?
Testing for the PHRi is available year-round, subject to test center availability.
How Do I Remain Certified?
Your PHRi certification is valid for three years after testing. To maintain your PHRi credential, you must earn 60 recertification credits over the three-year time span or retake the exam. Learn more about HRCI recertification requirements.